Reimbursement Process for Travel Expenses

You may request reimbursement only for those goods and/or services that were paid using PERSONAL funds. If a UMW purchasing tool was used to make the purchase, you may NOT request reimbursement. NOTE: REIMBURSEMENT WILL NOT TAKE PLACE UNTIL AFTER THE TRAVEL HAS HAPPENED.

To be reimbursed for anything OTHER THAN TRAVEL expenses, please see Reimbursements.

To be reimbursed for any travel expenses (mileage, parking, tolls, hotel expenses, etc.), you must complete a Travel Expense Reimbursement form and submit the signed form, along with all original receipts, to Accounts Payable (AP). Please consult the left side menu for detailed explanations of the limits and requirements for various travel expenses.

Reimbursement requests must:

  • Be submitted to Accounts Payable within 30 DAYS of your return from travel, and

  • Have dates from the traveler and the traveler’s supervisor within five (5) days of each other.

IMPORTANT NOTE:¬†Employees’ travel reimbursement requests turned in 90 days or more after completion of travel will be paid through Payroll and taxed as income per IRS guidelines.

Submit the following to AP based upon the type of travel listed below:

For Day-Only Travel

1. The completed and signed Travel Expense Reimbursement form.

2. Any receipts for which you are requesting reimbursement (not just registration forms). Note: Meals are not reimbursed for day-only travel, regardless of leave and return times. Please see Per Diem and Business Meals for further explanation.

3. The completed Request for Travel form with all appropriate signatures IF day-only travel exceeds $500.

For Overnight Travel in the Contiguous U.S., including Overnight Travel within Virginia

1. The completed and signed Request for Travel form with appropriate signatures.

2. The completed and signed Travel Expense Reimbursement form.

3. An original, itemized lodging receipt that shows the daily rate, taxes and a zero balance due (see Per Diem and Lodging Rates).

4. Any RECEIPTS for which you are requesting reimbursement. Do not include food receipts. For overnight travel, you should claim a per diem for meals (see Per Diem and Lodging Rates).

For Out-of-Country Travel, including Alaska and Hawaii

Refer to the Out-of-Country Travel section for instructions, rates and restrictions.

Unallowable Miscellaneous Expenses include the following and will not be reimbursed: lost or stolen articles; alcoholic beverages; damage to personal vehicle, clothing or other items; movies charged to hotel bills; all expenses related to personal negligence, such as fines for parking or services used to gain entry to a locked vehicle; entertainment expenses; towing charges for personal vehicle; contributions; donations; charges for spouse, children and companions; personal needs such as medication, refrigeration (even for medication), hotel safe or other conveniences. The above list is not all inclusive.

Remember that accounts are open to the public and must be able to sustain the test of public review.