When traveling with one or more students within the realm of your official UMW duties, a UMW EMPLOYEE* may “check out” a UMW Finance Card from the Cashier to pay for TRAVEL-RELATED expenses, BUT ALL STATE REGULATIONS AND LIMITS APPLY. The employee is held responsible for ALL charges made against the Card during the time the employee has the Card checked out.
The following will occur if you choose to check out a UMW Finance Card:
- Complete a Request for Travel Form (and get ALL appropriate signatures) for EACH person traveling. In an effort to save paper, ONE Request for Travel Form may be completed for all individuals traveling. Simply complete one Request for Travel Form for the employee travel and attach a list of travelers (indicating the traveler status as student, employee, guest, etc.) to the Request for Travel Form. NOTE: Usually, day-only travel does not require a Request for Travel Form; however, when wanting to use a UMW Finance Card, a Request for Travel Form is needed in order to document to the Cashier and auditors that the expense is allowed.
- Take the approved Request for Travel Form(s) to the Cashier’s office in Lee Hall. NOTE: To ensure availability of a Card, contact the Cashier’s office ahead of time to coordinate. BE SURE TO INCLUDE THE ZIP CODE OF THE LODGING, as the zip code determines the rate allowed by the state.
- The Cashier will take your Request for Travel Form(s), have you sign a UMW Finance Card Agreement to use the Card, and will give you a UMW Finance Card to use to pay for the travel-related expenses for you and the student(s).
- The cashier will email email@example.com a copy of the Request for Travel Form(s).
- Accounts Payable will email the traveler and the cashier to verify or correct per diem and lodging rates.
- When the traveler returns from the trip, the traveler should IMMEDIATELY submit the UMW Finance Card and ALL ORIGINAL, DETAILED, ITEMIZED receipts to the Cashier.
- The Cashier will review on-line the swiped charges made on the Card and will require receipts for all transactions on the Card during the time you had the Card checked out. If charged expenses exceed ANY State limits, the Cashier will ask you to deposit the “overage” immediately. If you fail to produce a receipt for a charge on the Card, you will be asked to make a deposit to UMW for the charge. The Cashier will give you a receipt and will attach a copy of the receipt to the paperwork to show the overage was paid by you. Any disputes will be handled with the Accounts Payable Manager or Associate Vice President for Finance and Controller. If you refuse to repay UMW for an inappropriate expense, Accounts Payable will file paperwork to have the money withheld from your paycheck and you will not have the privilege of using this Card again.
- The Cashier will scan receipts involving OVERNIGHT travel to firstname.lastname@example.org for review. (The Cashier will NOT scan regular business meals that do NOT involve overnight travel. Payables needs to review overnight-related travel receipts for lodging to ensure the rates are good, and they need to review any meals that were purchased during overnight travel to eliminate the possibility of the traveler submitting for a meal per diem already provided by UMW on the UMW Finance Card.)
- The Cashier will submit all forms and receipts to the Accounts Payable Office. If Accounts Payable finds any unallowable expenses, Accounts Payable will ask you to deposit money at the Cashier’s Office. Accounts Payable will attach the receipt of your repayment/deposit to the credit card statement as proof of money deposited. If you refuse to deposit the money, Accounts Payable will file paperwork to have the money withheld from your paycheck and you will not have the privilege of using this Card again.
NOTE: UMW Finance Card violation consequences are found at Card Violation Consequences.
Employee expenses are allowed on the Card with the students’ expenses. Remember these things:
- ONLY room rate and taxes on the room rate are allowed. NO incidentals such as Internet, movies, food, etc. are allowed to be charged on the Card.
- Any meals purchased (for students OR employees) using the Card are paid for directly by UMW and therefore, the meal portion of the per diem for the meal that was purchased using the Card CANNOT be claimed for reimbursement and will NOT be paid for reimbursement. When meals are purchased on the Card, Business Meal regulations apply.
- If using your personal vehicle, do NOT use the Card to purchase gas; use your personal funds (either your personal credit card or cash). You may then submit for reimbursement for the mileage traveled in your personal vehicle. The IRS rate per mile is indicated the Travel Expense Reimbursement Request form, and that per mile rate includes a gas factor.
- Parking expenses can be paid using the Card. Document details regarding parking, such as the number of cars, etc.
* An employee is defined as a UMW faculty or staff member. NOTE: Anyone other than an employee–a debate team member, for example–who wishes to use a Card must submit an exception request to the Associate Vice President for Finance. The exception request should include a scan of the completed (approved/dated) Request for Travel Form. The request will be reviewed, considered and determined by the Associate Vice President for Finance. Any exceptions that are granted must be in writing.
Details regarding State Travel Regulations and expense limits can be found in Travel Information.