Study Abroad programs are handled by the Center for International Education. Contact the Center for International Education for general questions regarding Study Abroad Programs and please read this web site for information regarding a payment tool for professors to use for their Study Abroad programs. (See Faculty Lead Travel Programs for annual, on-going field trips or class trips within the U.S. or abroad that are organized and handled by the same professor each year.)
The Accounts Payable Office provides a payment tool for professors WHO TRAVEL WITH STUDENTS for a Study Abroad program. Professors in charge of a Study Abroad program may be provided a UMW Finance Card that can be used to pay for expenses (airfare, hotel, meals, other transportation, etc.) directly related to their specific Study Abroad program(s). Study Abroad programs are funded with 8 Funds (a Banner FOAP that starts with an “8”) and are therefore allowed under UMW’s exception with the Commonwealth to be able to use the UMW Finance Card.
If you are a UMW Study Abroad professor, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get information about UMW Finance Cards for Study Abroad.
The UMW Finance Card for Study Abroad is issued in the name of the professor who is responsible for the Study Abroad program. The professor is NOT allowed to use the Card for personal expenses for any reason. The Card is to be used for the specific Study Abroad program for which (s)he is responsible. Although UMW pays the UMW Finance Card directly, the professor is ultimately held responsible for ALL charges made against the Card and must reimburse UMW for any inappropriate expenditures.
- The Study Abroad professor will contact the UMW Program Administrator (PA) in the Accounts Payable department to request a UMW Finance Card for Study Abroad.
- The UMW PA will verify the program with the Center for International Education office and will order a UMW Finance Card with the professor’s name on the card.
- The UMW PA will notify the professor by email when the Card arrives.
- The professor will provide to the UMW PA a copy of the FACT sheet and a list of the students traveling.
- The UMW PA will give the professor the option of picking up the Card from the Accounts Payable office or from the Cashier’s office. (The UMW PA and professor will decide this detail as they correspond about the Card.) At either place, the professor will be given an Employee Agreement to read and sign. (Accounts Payable will hand-deliver the Card to the Cashier’s office if the professor wants to pick up the Card from the Cashier.) NOTE: Professors receiving the UMW Finance Card for the first time are REQUIRED to pick up the Card from the UMW PA for a 30-minute training session. This training session includes showing the professor how to view his/her transactions in the Bank of America WORKS system with Internet access. Being able to view transactions in WORKS helps the professor keep track of expenses by showing absolute conversions and helps the professor manage receipts. In addition, the UMW PA can provide rate information regarding the Card. Ask for it when you pick up your Card or email the request to email@example.com.
- After the professor has signed the Employee Agreement, the UMW PA or Cashier will give the professor the UMW Finance Card to use for official Study Abroad business. (A copy of the Employee Agreement can be provided to the professor, if requested.)
- BEFORE the professor leaves to go on the Study Abroad trip, the professor is responsible for submitting to the Cashier ANY “pre-travel” purchase receipts, such as airfare.
- The professor is responsible for setting up a meeting with the UMW PA for an exit conference within 10 days of the professor’s return from the Study Abroad trip.
IMMEDIATELY (within 10 business days) upon returning from the Study Abroad travel, the professor is responsible for submitting to the UMW PA in Accounts Payable:
- A COMPLETED Study Abroad Credit Card Workbook (MANDATED only if Cash Advances were taken on the Card &/OR if any money needed to be deposited back into the FOAP upon your RETURN from the trip.)
- Detailed, itemized receipts IN DATE ORDER (earliest date to latest date) for EACH transaction that is on the Card. NOTE: If you are missing a receipt and have made every reasonable attempt to obtain a copy of the detailed, itemized receipt, you must document (in writing) that the receipt is missing and explain the steps taken to try to obtain a duplicate receipt. Also include the following verbiage in your comments I hereby certify that the expenses were incurred by me and are necessary and appropriate expenditures for UMW. By my signature, I acknowledge that the goods purchased become the property of UMW and services provided were for UMW. Then sign and date the document.
- All ATM or cash withdrawal receipts ALONG WITH receipts that show how THAT cash was used. (FOLLOW instructions within the workbook mentioned above!!) NOTE: If receipts are not given as a normal business practice for certain services in other countries, written documentation stating such fact and showing how the cash was used MUST be submitted. (FOLLOW instructions within the workbook mentioned above!!)
- The physical Card.
- Any documentation to help explain any unusual circumstances.
REMEMBER: SET UP a date/time to meet with the UMW PA for your exit conference. In addition, any cash that needs to be deposited back into your FOAP MUST:
- Be made at the Cashier’s office in Lee Hall.
- BE US DOLLARS!!!
- Happen BEFORE you meet with the UMW PA for the exit conference. The Accounts Payable department is NOT ALLOWED to accept cash–and the Accounts Payable department will NOT accept cash!
The UMW PA will review receipts and documentation during the exit interview with the professor. After the exit interview with the professor, the UMW PA will notify the professor with any problems or additional questions. The UMW PA will then forward the paperwork to the Associate VP for Finance and Controller for sign off in WORKS. The Associate VP for Finance and Controller will return the paperwork to the UMW PA for payment and filing. The professor is responsible for reimbursing UMW for any inappropriate expenses.
NOTE: UMW Finance Card violation consequences are found at Card Violation Consequences.