Wage employees serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority and are not guaranteed employment for a particular term. They are defined as employment to meet seasonal, temporary, part-time, or casual workforce needs.
- Are not covered by the Virginia Personnel Act.
- Defined as employment to meet seasonal, temporary, part-time, or casual workforce needs.
- May not exceed more than 29 hours per week on average on a yearly basis beginning May 1, 2013.
- Do not receive benefits while on wage appointment except for worker’s compensation and leave without pay for military service in the reserve components.
- Are non-exempt and are paid only for the hours they work.
With respect to pay practices, hourly employees are treated similarly to full-time classified employees.
The pay for wage positions is based upon the position’s role title and the state’s classification system. The position’s role title is based upon complexity, results and accountability stated in hourly employee’s official EWP.
Wage employees may view their job descriptions online in Careers.