The yellow WOW card represents an award of recognition leave. Supervisors may award up to 16 hours of recognition leave per year. The remaining 24 hours of possible recognition leave will be awarded at the discretion of the President. To request a yellow WOW Recognition, supervisors need to follow these steps:
- Make sure the reasons for awarding the recognition agree with Division Guidelines.
- Complete the online request form.
- Log in, using the same credentials that you use for UMW email.
- Complete the form.
- Click the Submit button. Your request will automatically be sent to HR for approval.
- Supervisors will then receive email notification from the Office of Human Resources when the WOW card has been processed.
- The supervisor will notify the recipient of the yellow WOW card.
- Payroll will be notified of the amount of hours awarded to the employee and payroll will input recognition time into MyTime.
Please note the following State regulations regarding recognition leave:
- Wage/hourly employees are not eligible to receive leave.
- Recognition Leave up to five workdays (40 hours) may be awarded to an employee in a leave year.
- Supervisors have the discretion to award employees up to 16 hours of the 40 with the President having discretion to issue the remaining 24 hours.
- Recognition Leave lapses within 12 months from the date it was awarded. Unused recognition leave that has not lapsed will be paid out at the end of state service, or if the employee leaves UMW.
- In extraordinary circumstances the 12-month retention period for Recognition Leave may be extended. Supervisors must contact the Office of Human Resources for guidance on carryover of Recognition Leave.
For any questions on the process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.