Mail processing and distribution involves sorting and distributing all incoming mail and packages to student, departmental, and administrative offices.
Daily delivery to all offices and departments on campus is offered. Internal campus mail and outgoing University mail is picked up once daily and returned to Mail Services for processing. Please notify Mail Services in advance if excessive mail volume requires an additional pick-up.
Mail Services provides an accurate record of each departmental postal transaction. Mail processed on site, and daily charges for Business Reply, Nonprofit Bulk, and Postage Due are received, recorded and billed to each department.
Example Format for Incoming and Outgoing Mail
* Name (and/or company name)
* Street address, post office box number or rural route number
* Include all suffixes (Ave, Blvd, and St.) and/or directional (N, NW)
* Always include locators such as apartment number or suite numbers
* City or town, province or state name, and country name
When a post office box number and a street address are used, make sure that the deliverable address is above the City, State and Zip+4, and the city, state and Zip Code or Zip+4 corresponds to that address.
* CAPITALIZE EVERYTHING IN THE ADDRESS
* TYPE OR MACHINE PRINT ADDRESS INFORMATION
* USE TWO LETTER STATE ABBREVIATIONS
* ELIMINATE ALL PUNCTUATIONS
* USE ZIP+4 CODES
* BLACK INK ON WHITE PAPER
* USE 10 -14 POINT SIZE TYPE
* MAINTAIN A UNIFORM LEFT MARGIN
* USE ONE OR TWO SPACES BETWEEN CITY, STATE AND ZIP+4
* ALWAYS USE A RETURN ADDRESS
Business Reply Mail
This type of mail allows customers to respond at no cost to them when the mail is returned (departments incur the charges).
This type of mail requires a signature and a record of delivery is retained at the addressee’s post office. No insurance is provided and is available only on first-class mail within the United States.
With this special service, you can receive a receipt back showing that the insured, certified or express mail was delivered.
This type of mail will allow payment up to $ 5000.00 for the loss, rifling or damaging of mail. Insurance applies to all classes of mail.
This type of mail will guarantee two day delivery service or your money will be refunded. Note: Consideration should be given to sending the mail piece via UPS rather than Express Mail. Use of UPS could potentially generate a savings, with the contract the state has with UPS. If you have a P.O. Box number then you may consider shipping Priority Mail, however, Priority Mail is not a guaranteed service and you are not issued a tracking number.
This type of mail requires a minimum number of mail pieces to be eligible for discounted postage rates. Contact UMW Mail Services (x1049) for more information.
- Pre-Sort 1st Class = 500 pieces/ allow 2-3 days for delivery.
- Non-Profit = 200 pieces/ allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
Bulk Mail Authorization Form
This form must be filled out and faxed to 540-654-2005 prior to any mailing going to the USPS mail facility. Once it is faxed we will approve the form and fax it back. The form then needs to accompany the mailing and all other paperwork to the mail facility.
This is a First-Class service for mail weighing up to a maximum of 70 pounds. The average delivery time is 2 to 3 days. This is a very economical way to send mail.