Tax Information/1098-T

The University of Mary Washington has contracted with Tax Credit Reporting Service (TCRS) to provide information about qualified higher education expenses. The 1098-T forms for the 2016 tax year are currently available online, as of February 3, 2017. The paper copies of the 1098t will be mailed out the following week. You can obtain copies of your 1098-T form online by visiting and selecting “Access My Record”.

You may also call TCRS at 1-877-467-3821 to obtain this information or ask any questions.

1098-T forms report qualifying charges made during the tax year, NOT payments you have made to UMW. Qualifying charges include tuition, mandatory (comprehensive) fees, but not housing or dining charges. Tuition for non-credit classes is not a qualifying charge.

Additional resources

Tax Benefits for Education – IRS Publication

IRS Student’s Page – Higher Education 

W-9S Request for Student’s or Borrower’s Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification