Study Abroad Information


The financial aid programs available for Study Abroad include Federal Pell Grant, Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Parent Loans (PLUS) and Alternative Loans.  Students must submit the following items for files to be complete:


  • UMW “Request for Study Abroad Financial Aid” Form and supporting documentation of program costs from the program literature.

 Deadlines for receipt:  Fall: August 1       Spring: November 1            Summer: April 15

  • Consortium Agreement from the study abroad institution must be signed and returned.  The Office of Financial Aid initiates this with the host institution.  It will show “satisfied” in your Eagle Net portal upon certification by the host institution.


Study Abroad Students applying for financial aid (including student loans and scholarships) must complete their study abroad program through an institution that has been approved by the UMW Center for International Education.



Students that participate in study abroad programs during the fall and spring semesters or who study abroad for the entire year, both spring and fall, are required to maintain full-time enrollment (12 credits or more) to receive their maximum financial aid award.  Should a student drop below 12 credits, they should notify the UMW Center for International Education and the UMW Office of Financial Aid.  Note: Dropping below full-time enrollment may require the return of financial aid to federal programs.  See for more information.


Study Abroad Scholarships:

Include the Simpson, Palmieri, Julian, Alden, CIE, Abbott, Muldoon-Martel International Scholarships.  There are Faculty-Led Program Scholarships available as well.  Students may inquire about these programs through the UMW Center for International Education (CIE).


Summer Study Abroad Programs:

Program must be an approved UMW study abroad program for a minimum 10-week period with a minimum of six (6) credit hours. OR, a student may enroll for a minimum of six (6) credit hours and attend both UMW summer sessions (one may be a study abroad program). Summer financial aid is limited to Federal Stafford, Federal PLUS and Alternative Loans. The Federal Pell Grant is available to eligible students who have not used all of their current year eligibility.


Receipt of Funds:

The University of Mary Washington will disburse aid to students after paperwork is completed based on the University’s regular disbursement schedule.  It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the study abroad institution receives the funds. Study abroad programs will not receive student financial aid funds directly from the University of Mary Washington.  The Office of Student Accounts encourages students to enroll in direct deposit to receive the funds.  If the student chooses not to enroll, the funds will be sent in the student’s name to the address listed with Student Accounts. This may require you to delegate someone to negotiate the deposit of the check.  Fall programs are disbursed mid- September and spring funds are disbursed in the first part of March. Different financial aid programs disburse on different days.Financial aid funds will not be available for required program deposit fees or upfront costs. The payment of financial aid funds is approximately four weeks after the program starts, assuming that the financial aid file is completed in time and loans processed.



 Click here for the Study Abroad Financial Aid Request Form.  Complete the form and return it to the Office of Financial Aid.