Licensing FAQs

What is a trademark? A trademark is any name, symbol, figure, letter, work or mark adopted and used  by a manufacturer or merchant in order to designate his or her goods and to distinguish them from those manufactured or sold by others.

What are UMW’s trademarks?

  • University of Mary Washington
  • UMW
  • UMW Eagles
  • UMW Tagline Logo
  • UMW Monogram Logo
  • UMW Brand Extension Logos
  • UMW Seal
  • UMW Athletics Eagle
  • Eagle Nation

Who needs a license? Any manufacturers, producers, or other entity must obtain a license agreement prior to producing or selling trademarked merchandise.

What products may be licensed? University of Mary Washington reserves the right to consider and approve any product or product category for license; however, no product will be licensed without the approval of the licensing program. This helps to ensure that products bearing UMW’s marks are of the highest quality and represent the university in a positive manner. Additionally, proactive review helps to identify products that may not be appropriate for UMW’s trademarks, may be hazardous, or present a liability concern.

Any merchandise produced with the marks of University of Mary Washington will be:
1. Approved by the licensing director.
2. Subject to licensing fees.
3. Produced by a company that is licensed by University of Mary Washington.

What does not need a license?

  • Printed materials. Contact the University Relations Office.
  • Office supplies and materials for internal use.
  • Manufacturers, producers, or other entity do not need to obtain a license to sell to campus department including Athletics.

What are the fees? Licensees are required to pay an initial fee of $100, due at the time the license agreement is signed. Each licensee will pay annual fee of $50, due in July, to maintain the license.

Royalty fees are 8% of net sales of all licensed articles produced, and are due quarterly.

Where do I submit my application?

Click here to fill out the online application.

Where do I submit the Licensing Agreement?

The signed Licensing Agreement should be sent to:

University of Mary Washington
Attn: Lauren Pilcher
1301 College Ave
Fredericksburg, VA 22401

How do I identify licensed products?

Authentication labels and hangtags should be used as appropriate, and are available through the Collegiate Licensed Product Association (CLPA). The labels indicate to consumers that the product is officially licensed.