How do I get an EagleOne card?

Come to the card office M-F 8AM-5PM, Lee Hall Room 110.  A valid, government issued photo id is required.

Who is Eligible?


New, continuing, or returning students may obtain an ID upon verification of enrollment by the card office staff.  Requires a government issued photo ID for verification of identity.

Faculty & Staff:

Requires a signed form from the Department of Human Resources and a photo ID.**Please note, we require 24 hours from new employee orientation for information to be input into the ID Database. Faculty and staff should call ext. 1005 prior to heading to the card office to ensure their information appears in the system.

Is there any cost associated with the card?

Your first University ID card is issued to you at no cost. This card is valid throughout your entire academic career at the University of Mary Washington.  A fee may be applied for all replacement cards issued.

Where is the EagleOne Card Center located?

The Card Center is located in Lee Hall room 110. Our business hours are Monday through Friday 8am-5pm

What is the EagleOne Card?

The EagleOne Card is your University identification card; it accesses residence halls, dining plans, and contains a stored value account. The EagleOne Card serves many purposes and it is important to carry it at all times. If you are an enrolled and active student at the University of Mary Washington, you have an EagleOne stored value account that funds can be added to. An EagleOne account has already been established and linked to the card prior to receiving it. Using your EagleOne card at various locations on campus eliminates the need to carry cash, write numerous checks, or use a bank credit card.

How do I add money to my EagleOne account?

  • Online Card office
  • EagleOne Card Center (Lee Hall room 110)
  • Or by Mail to: ATTN: EagleOne Card Center, University of Mary Washington, 1301 College Avenue, Fredericksburg, VA 22401 **Do not send cash or credit card numbers through the mail**
  • Also, use the deposit portal to check account balance and meal plan use information.

What if I lose my EagleOne Card?

All lost or stolen cards should be reported immediately to the police non emergency number (540-654-1025) AND invalidated online at the online card office.

Students must come to the EagleOne Card Center to re-activate a card or to purchase a new card.

Where can I use my EagleOne Card?

Your EagleOne Stored Value Account is usable at these locations:

On Campus:

  • Cedric Rucker University Center Dining Areas
  • Dining at the Eagle’s Nest
  • Student Catering
  • University Health Center
  • The UMW Bookstore
  • Klein Theatre
  • Drink Machines
  • Snack Machines
  • University Post Office
  • The Copy Center
  • Pay to Print locations
  • Some Events & Fundraisers with SAE
  • Cashier’s Office for incidentals.  **Payments over $250.00 will incur fees.

Off Campus:

  • Patriot Subs – 1131 Emancipation Hwy (Eagle Village), Fredericksburg, VA
  • Sheetz – 2001 Carl D. Silver Parkway, Fredericksburg, VA

Do I need a new EagleOne each year I attend UMW?

No. Your EagleOne Card is valid as long as you are an active student.

Does using the EagleOne attach fees to my purchases?

There is no fee for using the card. However, there is a $20.00 replacement fee.

Can I withdraw cash  from my EagleOne account?

No. The funds in the EagleOne account are only valid on campus and at participating off campus locations.

Can I request a refund from my deposits to the EagleOne Debit Account?

Students may only submit a refund request if they are graduating, withdrawing or transferring from the University.  Employees may submit a written request for a refund upon separation of employment.

Who can I call if there is a problem with my EagleOne Card?

You can call the EagleOne office at 540-654-1005 or email at eagleone@umw.edu  Students should contact the Office of Residence Life for access requests.  Access requests for Faculty & Staff must be submitted to the University’s Emergency Management and Safety Department.