This page provides users with various options for finance training that is required for necessary Finance Security Compliance. UMW systems users must successfully complete training and all paperwork in order to be authorized to access the secure systems.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for training or request assistance with security requirements.
Please note – classes without registrants by 4:00 p.m. the day prior will be cancelled without notice.
Training, Evaluation, and System Support
Eagle Village Suite 480
1125 Jefferson Davis Hwy
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Fax: (540) 654-1168
Training is located on the 4th floor of Eagle Village in the TESS Training Room. When entering Eagle Village from College Avenue, cross Route 1 and make a left turn into the shopping center and park behind Country Cookin’. Please use the pedestrian crosswalks to cross the double drive. Enter the building on the same side as Quiznos, under the awning (Executive Offices of Eagle Village). Take the elevator to the 4th floor. Walk all the way down the hallway to the last door on the right. When you come into the office, veer to the right and walk down the short hallway. The TESS Training Room is the last door on the left.
Purchasing I and II
Banner Budget Queries & Reports/Works
Just In Time Training– for Budget Mgr, Satellite Business Ops, eCommerce and Works
Training Schedule for Purchasing, Budget & Works
To register for training, contact email@example.com
|Thursday, July 18|
|Thursday, August 15|
|Thursday, September 19|
|Thursday, October 17|
|Thursday, November 14|
|Thursday, December 12|
Purchasing I and II
eVA I – Introduction to Purchasing – Online Review and Quiz
This is a mandatory training class for departmental purchasers and a pre-requisite for receiving a credit card. Due to class length, the class is divided into two sections. The first section is an online training course with quizzes. The second section is an in-person training conducted with a member of TESS.
eVA II – Hands on Instruction – 9:30-12:00 pm
- Fundamentals of Finance
- eVA Setup, Card Information, Amazon Tax Exemption Program
- Small Purchase Procedures
- Hands on training for eVA Navigation, Requisition entry, Approvals and Reporting
- eVA Change Orders
- eVA Purchases and Banner Budget Encumbrances
- Banner Navigation and Purchase Order Receiving
- Direct Pay Review and Prompt Pay
- SPCC Charge Card Billing Cycle Dates
UMW Finance Card Billing Cycle Date
- Introduction to Sharepoint reporting. https://firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prepare for Works
- Prepare for Chrome River and AP Direct Deposit: https://technology.umw.edu/hss/banner/
Banner Budget Queries and Reports/Works -1:00-3:30 pm
Required training for those involved in budgetary responsibilities such as operational balances, cash balances, purchasing reviews, reports, queries, encumbrances, and journal transfers. Class instruction is in the Production environment, so users must know their Banner passwords and FOAPAL elements. Users will walk away with an understanding and knowledge of:
- Banner 9 for Budget Queries, Drill Downs, and Printed Reports
- Banner 9 for Cash Balances
- Faculty Grants
- Banner SSB
- Direct Pays/Check Requests
- Line Item budgeting training can be included, upon request
- Works for charge card coding and reporting
Just in Time Training options available upon request:
This class is required before participating in Banner or as an introduction into Finance for those individuals involved in budgetary responsibilities such as operational balances, cash balances, purchasing reviews, reports, queries, encumbrances, and journal transfers. This class is a high level of view of operations and is part of the Just In Time classes geared for the department VP, Supervisor or Chairperson. This class reviews:
- Chart of Account structure for reporting area
- Explanation of FOAPAL Elements
- Sample budget report
- SSB review
- Assists new users with questions related to Business and Finance operations
- Explains basics of user finance obligations such as training and refresher training, profile maintenance, security, deadlines, adherence to state and internal policy and procedures
- May or may not include use of the UMW Learning Center and Works Introduction
Banner class instruction is in the Production environment. Please contact Vickie Chapman at extension 1155 or email@example.com to schedule training. ** Must have all securities in place.
Satellite Business Operations
A limited number of departments, outside of the Finance Department, are approved to directly enter transactions into Banner cashiering sessions. The entries may include Student Account charges from the Health Center and Residence Life, or Deposits/Payments from Admissions and Residence Life. Small group or one-on-one training is provided for each unique situation of opening/entering data and closing sessions, activity specific coding, and instructions for submitting sessions to the Accounting Office. Due to its unique need, this training is part of our Just In Time offerings.
- Overview of applicable detail codes
- Demonstration of opening, entering data, and closing a session
- Demonstration of an upload, as necessary
- Instructions for submitting a closed session to Accounting
Cashnet is an ecommerce payment online payment option established upon request by departments and approval of the Associate Controller of Finance. Cashnet allows web entry acceptance of credit card and/or eCheck payments for events, such as conferences registrations, workshop registrations, athletic camps, concerts, and seminars. Departments desiring this service must first complete Cash Collections training and appropriate paperwork. This class is taught upon request and is part of our Just In Time offerings. Training includes:
- Discussion on how eCommerce can best support your department event
- eCommerce system fields, navigation, and Reporting
- Payment methods, Merchant Fees, and Reconciliation
- Security and Passwords
WORKS For Me
The online credit card system from Bank of America, called Works – is used for both the Small Purchase Credit Card (SPCC) and the UMW Finance Card. Cardholders utilize the Works system in a variety of ways with a variety of programs. Works for Me instruction for cardholder and Approvers is within the production environment once card expenses are posted within the Works system. Classes may involve the following:
- Chart of Account Information
- Security Review
- Procurement Regulations
- Works Navigation
- Card Profile information, Chip and Pin setup and validation requirements
- Internal processing requirements
- Budget Review
MyTime is the University of Mary Washington’s time, attendance and leave reporting system used by full time and part time employees, students, supervisors, graduate assistants, interns and professional development employees.
MyTime Training is available to all employees and supervisors during the following days/times:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 10am-11am or 11am-12pm
Tuesday and Thursday from 3pm-4pm or 4pm-5pm (Remote Training Only via Bomgar)
To register for MyTime Training, email firstname.lastname@example.org with training date and time selection.
Training Location: Eagle Village, Suite 480
Online FLSA training for Supervisors
Prior to MyTime training, supervisors are required to complete:
The Overtime Compensation Requirements Assessment module of the MVP HR Policy & Law – Fair Labor Standards Act.
Specific instructions are outlined on the Human Resources’ Training: Fair Labor Standards Act website
If you encounter difficulty logging in to the UMW Learning Center, please contact Pam Lowery (email@example.com).
MyTime Instructional Materials are available on the Payroll website: