PARKING MANAGEMENT DIVISION
This class is required for all UMW students wishing to drive State owned vehicles for university recognized events. Students must first fill out an online form in order to be scheduled for the class. Online forms must be submitted at least 10 business days in advance of scheduled class times to be considered eligible. Students must bring a current valid Driver’s License (and if living out of the state of Virginia, a certified copy of their driving record) to the Parking Management Office in Lee Hall room 110. Students must successfully complete the online portion of the program before they will be invited to participate in the Behind the Wheel portion.
Upcoming Behind the Wheel dates:
- September 27 (available spaces)
Topics covered include:
- A brief overview of UMW Rules and Regulations while driving a state owned vehicle.
- A hands on (behind the wheel) driving and reversing experience, using student spotter(s) in parking lots.
- Procedures to follow for refueling vans.
- Procedures to follow for mechanical repairs.
- Procedures for reporting accidents.
Requirements for Van Familiarization:
- A valid driver’s license will also be needed at time of class
- Students must have been driving for more than two years
- In and Out of state drivers are required to submit a certified driving record from their home state
- Don’t wear sandals when operating the Vans (Closed toed shoes only)
- Contact Maie Makin if you need ADA accommodation.
In person Behind the Wheel is held on Wednesdays at the Physical Plant Building (subject to vehicle and Parking Management staff availability), behind the Athletic Field Complex. All portions of the online segment of the course must be completed successfully to participate in the Behind the Wheel portion.
Behind the Wheel size is limited to 4 students per session and begins promptly. Late arrivals and unscheduled individuals will be turned away. If you miss your scheduled time, you will need to submit a new application and will be rescheduled and treated as a new applicant. Please contact the Parking Management Office if you need to reschedule PRIOR to the class day and time.
Please Note: Students who have completed the Van Familiarization Program but have NOT been approved to drive state-owned vehicles must wait 60 days before reapplying.
Please call 540-654-1129 or e-mail Maie Makin for more information.