Information on this page will equip you with the knowledge to navigate Finance and Procurement Services systems of UMW. You will find overviews of the systems, step-by-step guides with visual aids, as well as short videos. When accessing this information from off campus you must login to the VPN Client.
Whatever your learning style, we are here to help you excel in your Finance obligations. The TESS Video Library is a great resource to see processes in action!
Listed below are training guides and information for the following Finance-related systems, tools or processes:
- SPCC (Small Purchase Credit Card)
- Works Manual and Reference Guides
- Direct Pay Table and Due Dates
- University Entertainment
Finance and Reports
- INB – Internet Native Banner
- SSB – Self-Service Banner
- Budget & Systems Overview for Chairs and Administrators
- Designated Signer
- Finance SharePoint Reporting
- Microsoft Excel
Online Payment Processing
Time & Attendance
eVA is a web-based procurement system used by Virginia government agencies to announce bid opportunities, receive quotes and place orders for goods and services.
- Procedures for Procurement of Goods and Services
- eVA Procurement Transaction Types
- UMW Business Card Form Proof – CSL Media
Office Move Information Form
- The Office Move Information Form is used to communicate relocation information. This information is used to update shipping information in eVA.
SPCC – Small Purchase Credit Card
The Bank of America Visa is the SPCC selected for use by all state agencies and institutions in Virginia. The SPCC should be used for all purchases under $5,000 where the selected vendor accepts it. The card may be used for official UMW business purchases only.
Works Manual and Reference Guides
The SPCC and the UMW Finance card utilize the Works electronic online system to review, code, and approve credit card transactions. Cardholders and cardholder managers can view current or past transactions at any time, as well as set up billing and other reports to run according to schedule.
The UMW Finance Card is managed by Accounts Payable. Card overview, billing cycle dates and card purpose can be viewed from the UMW Finance Card site.
The SPCC is managed by the Procurement Services department. Card regulations can be reviewed as written in the SPCC manual and by visiting the purchasing website.
Works Reference Guides
- Login to Works
- eVA and Works Credit Card Initial Setup
- Transaction Sign Off Sheet
- Credit Card and Works Reconciliation Checklist
Required UMW Learning Center Training – Cardholder and Supervisor
- Complete the SPCC Card Request Forms
a. SPCC Request Form
b. SPCC Delegated Purchasing Authority
c. SPCC/Bank of America Employee User Agreement
- Supervisor updates Careers to include Card Holder’s Finance duties
- Complete the UMW Learning Center Training by following the SPCC Training Step-by-Step Guide.
- Watch the video and take the quiz at the end.
- Send an email notification to the SPCC Administrator, Brittany Miller (email@example.com), and copy TESS (firstname.lastname@example.org) when you have successfully completed the quiz.
- Once your Works profile has been established by the SPCC Administrator, you will receive an email from Works prompting you through creation of a system password. Click here for set up directions.
- When UMW receives your SPCC you will be notified to arrange pick up from the SPCC Administrator.
Direct Pay Table and Due Dates
Direct Pay Requests are entered directly into Banner INB for purchases where a purchase order is not required. Consult the Direct Pay Table for a list of eligible purchase categories and the Prompt Pay Due Dates table for the appropriate date for your Direct Pay invoice.
University faculty and staff who contract with performers or performance-related vendors must follow specific guidelines to comply with procurement regulations and obtain proper contract signatures.
INB – Internet Native Banner
Internet Native Banner (INB) allows those with Finance budget query privileges the capability to view FOAPAL information and operational balances by query or reporting functions. Features include:
- Standard Reporting Options
- Varied Queries by FOAP or Rule Class
- Drill Down to Document Capabilities
- Form Prints and Saves (html, text)
- Extractions to Excel
- Cash balances
Below is a list of Instructional Materials for Banner 8 and Banner 9. TESS will provide Banner 9 training in the Fall of 2017. Please be advised that Banner 9 materials are currently in draft format.
Banner 8 Banner 9 Direct Pay Direct Pay INB Searches and Reports INB Searches and Reports Banner Receiving Banner Receiving Banner 8 v Banner 9 Navigation
SSB – Self-Service Banner
Self Service Banner provides the user advantages of click and drill down capabilities, ease of Journal Entries, Quick searches of multiple funding sources per Organization code, and downloads to Excel on Hierarchy budget reports. Disadvantages to SSB would include the inability to view Cash balances and the lack of a standard paper report.
Banner 8 Banner 9 Banner 8 SSB Manual Banner 9 SSB Manual
Budget and Systems Overview for Chairs and Administrators
At the beginning of every fiscal year, the training department within the division of Administration and Finance offers group instruction to new and current Chairs. Instruction focuses on financial systems and associated financial duties of the supervisory position. The class will focus on:
University of Mary Washington President, Dr. Troy D. Paino, has designated signing authority on his behalf to specific individuals on campus. These individuals are designated to sign specified contracts and administrative documents as identified by the statement “President or Designee”. Click here for more information.
Finance SharePoint Reporting
Access customized reports through SharePoint for assistance in carrying out Finance duties. Your AD password is required for access and some forms may require Banner access. Below are guides to various report that are currently available.
Many University financial reports can be exported to Excel to view and filter data. The Microsoft Excel Manual provides an overview of Excel tools and functions to support operational efficiency.
Commerce Manager (CM) is a payment tool that allows UMW departments to accept online credit card and/or eCheck payments for events, such as conference or workshop registrations, athletic camps, concerts, seminars, etc.
The University’s automated time and attendance system used by the following:
- Students,wage, and full time employees for time and attendance
- Graduate Assistants and Interns, and Professional Development employees for time and attendance
- Classified Staff and Administrative faculty for leave requests and reporting
- Supervisors responsible for approving time, attendance and leave
Instructional Materials are available on the Payroll website: