Information on this page will equip you with the knowledge to navigate Finance and Procurement Services systems of UMW. You will find overviews of the systems, step-by-step guides with visual aids, as well as short videos. When accessing this information from off campus you must login to the VPN Client.
Whatever your learning style, we are here to help you excel in your Finance obligations. The TESS Video Library is a great resource to see processes in action!
Listed below are training guides and information for the following Finance-related systems, tools or processes:
- UMW Finance Card Training link
- Direct Pay Table and Due Dates
- Travel/Chrome River
- University Entertainment
- Fund Type and Card Use (SharePoint list)
- Clothing Table – requirements for clothing purchases
Finance and Reports
- Banner 9
- Direct Pay, Banner Receiving, Searches and Reports
- SSB – Self-Service Banner
- Budget & Systems Overview for Chairs and Administrators
- Designated Signer
- Finance SharePoint Reporting
- Microsoft Excel
Online Payment Processing (Cashnet)
Time & Attendance
eVA is a web-based procurement system used by Virginia government agencies to announce bid opportunities, receive quotes and place orders for goods and services.
NextGen Quick Resource Guides:
- Getting started in NextGen eVA
- Logging into Next Gen eVA – First time login instructions.
- NextGen eVA 200 Report – Compare with previous 200 report.
- Pcard Management and Quick Reference Guide – Remove and Add your Pcard information.
- Task Management and System Preferences – Navigation, Dashboard, and User Preferences.
- Searching and Favorites – How to search for Requisitions, Purchase Orders, Suppliers and add Favorites.
- Requisitions and Purchase Orders
- Non-Catalog Requisition Entry – How to create a Non-Catalog Requisition (ie. orders not paid by credit card).
- Punchout Catalog Order Entry – How to shop using the Punchout Catalogs.
- Change Orders – How to enter a change order.
- Approvals and Ad-hoc Approvers – How to view Requisitions awaiting approval and Add an Ad-hoc Approver to the Req.
- eVA 203 Report – Purchase Order Print Option includes FOAPAL.
- eVA-Account_Maintenance_for_Suppliers – Support for your Supplier.
- Supplier Review Process- Buyer Guide for eVA and Banner Supplier Registration.
- Purchasing Card Manual, Policies & Procedures
- Business Cards may be purchased from VDC or CSL Media. Instructions for ordering Business Cards are listed on page 48 of the eVA eMall Manual.
Office Move Information Form
- The Office Move Information Form is used to communicate relocation information. This information is used to update shipping information in eVA.
SPCC – Small Purchase Credit Card
The Bank of America Visa is the SPCC selected for use by all state agencies and institutions in Virginia. The SPCC should be used for all purchases under $50,000 where the selected supplier accepts it. The card may be used for official UMW business purchases only.
Training Manual and Reference Guides
Works Manual and Reference Guides
The SPCC and the UMW Finance card utilize the Works electronic online system to review, code, and approve credit card transactions. Cardholders and cardholder managers can view current or past transactions at any time, as well as set up billing and other reports to run according to schedule.
The UMW Finance Card is managed by Accounts Payable. Card overview, billing cycle dates and card purpose can be viewed from the UMW Finance Card site.
The SPCC is managed by the Procurement Services department. Card regulations can be reviewed as written in the SPCC manual and by visiting the purchasing website.
Works Reference Guides
Direct Pay Table and Due Dates
Direct Pay Requests are entered directly into Banner INB for purchases where a purchase order is not required. Consult the Direct Pay Table for a list of eligible purchase categories and the Prompt Pay Due Dates table for the appropriate date for your Direct Pay invoice.
University faculty and staff who contract with performers or performance-related suppliers must follow specific guidelines to comply with procurement regulations and obtain proper contract signatures.
Banner 9 allows those with Finance budget query privileges the capability to view FOAPAL information and operational balances by query or reporting functions. Features include:
- Standard Reporting Options
- Varied Queries by FOAP or Rule Class
- Drill Down to Document Capabilities
- Form Prints and Saves (html, text)
- Extractions to Excel
- Cash balances
Below is a list of Instructional Materials for Banner 9. Please be advised that Banner 9 materials are currently in draft format.
- Direct Pay
- Banner 9 Searches and Reports
- Banner 9 Receiving
- Quick Reference Chart – Banner Receiving Dates
Videos are compatible with QuickTime player.
Download QuickTime Player.
- Banner Receiving
- Banner Receiving Adjustments
- FOIDOCH – Document History
This video will guide you on how to use FOIDOCH to view document history information such as purchases, payments and direct pays.
SSB – Self-Service Banner
Self Service Banner provides the user advantages of click and drill down capabilities, ease of Journal Entries, quick searches of multiple funding sources per Organization code, and downloads to Excel on Hierarchy budget reports. Disadvantages to SSB would include the inability to view Cash balances and the lack of a standard paper report.
Budget and Systems Overview for Chairs and Administrators
At the beginning of every fiscal year, the training department within the division of Administration and Finance offers group instruction to new and current Chairs. Instruction focuses on financial systems and associated financial duties of the supervisory position. The class will focus on:
- List of UMW Systems
- Fundamentals of Finance, Operational Budget Review, Works, SPCC, and MyTime
University of Mary Washington President, Dr. Troy D. Paino, has designated signing authority on his behalf to specific individuals on campus. These individuals are designated to sign specified contracts and administrative documents as identified by the statement “President or Designee”. Click here for more information.
Finance SharePoint Reporting
Access customized reports through SharePoint for assistance in carrying out Finance duties. Your AD password is required for access and some forms may require Banner access. Below are guides to various report that are currently available.
Many University financial reports can be exported to Excel to view and filter data. The Microsoft Excel Manual provides an overview of Excel tools and functions to support operational efficiency.
The University of Mary Washington uses Cashnet as a payment tool to allow departments to accept online credit card and/or eCheck payments for events, such as conference or workshop registrations, athletic camps, concerts, seminars, etc.
The University’s automated time and attendance system used by the following:
- Students,wage, and full time employees for time and attendance
- Graduate Assistants and Interns, and Professional Development employees for time and attendance
- Classified Staff and Administrative faculty for leave requests and reporting
- Supervisors responsible for approving time, attendance and leave
Additional Instructional Materials are available on the Payroll website: