Items in the following list are pre-approved and require no technology request form submission or IT approval prior to purchasing. Users are permitted to order directly from catalogs, retail stores, etc. following all state and University procurement guidelines. Any purchase under $10,000.00 is required to be made by a certified-micro vendor or a justification provided for not purchasing from a certified-micro vendor, unless procuring from a contracted vendor, and the order must be placed into eVA (unless acquiring over-the-counter). Please contact Procurement Services if the purchase exceeds $10,000.00 or if assistance is required.
Things to Remember:
- Before making a purchase on your own, make sure that you understand the vendor’s return policy.
- Items marked “*” may be purchased at the UMW Bookstore with the appropriate and authorized FOAP
- If you need assistance in selecting the right item for your area based on certain needs, please contact the Help Desk x2255 prior to purchasing.
Below are categories available for Buy Your Own purchasing. Items listed under the categories are examples only and do not include all potential items available for Buy Your Own purchasing. If the item category is not listed, please continue to the Standard form. If the item is also not on the Standard form, it will require a Non-Standard form request and subsequent review by IT.
Scroll past the list to see Resources & Tips and Vendor Resources.
Buy Your Own Computer Accessories
- All iPad/Tablet cases, sleeves, and covers
- Laptop bags*
- Mice and Keyboards (includes Apple products)
- Laptop Batteries (examples include but are not limited to):
- Dell E6410/E6510, E6420 Laptop Batteries; Lenovo T400, T500 Laptop Batteries, etc.
- Cables/Adapters (includes Apple/Thunderbolt cables and adapters – examples include but are not limited to):
- Connecting to the Internet:
- USB to Ethernet Adapter
- Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
- Other Ethernet Adapters
- Connecting computer/laptop to monitors or other media:
- Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
- Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
- HDMI to DVI Adapter
- Lightning to Digital AV Adapter (for iPads)
- Power Adapters:
- 45W MagSafe Power Adapter (older generation MacBook Airs)
- 45W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (newer MacBook Airs)
- 60W MagSafe Power Adapter (older generation 13.3” MacBook & 13” MacBook Pro)
- 85W MagSafe Power Adapter (older 15” & 17” MacBook Pro)
- 60W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (MacBook Pro 13” with Retina Display)
- 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (MacBook Pro 15” &17” with Retina Display)
- MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter
- 130W 3-Prong AC Adapter w/ 6’ power cord (Latitude E6420 and E5450 laptops)
- 90W Slim Power Adapter w/ 6’ power cord (Latitude E5480 and current model laptops)
- Docking Stations
- Dell D1000 Docking Station (Supports up to 2 monitors. For use with Dell Laptop Models Latitude E6420, E5450, and E5480)
- Dell D3100 Docking Station (Supports up to 3 monitors. For use with Dell Laptop Models Latitude E6420, E5450, and E5480)
- Computer Speakers
- Computer Monitors [Our standard monitors include Dell 22” Monitor (part# P2219H), Dell 23” Monitor (part# P2319H), Dell 24” Monitor (part# P2419H)]
- Connecting to the Internet:
Other Buy Your Own Items
- PowerPoint Presentation Remotes
- Laptop Locks*
- Battery Backups (550VA UPS)
- Phone headsets – if you need assistance selecting a phone headset that is compatible with your University phone, please contact the Help Desk x2255
- Computer headphones
- Still and video digital cameras, including webcams
- SD Memory cards*
- Flash Drives* – 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB encrypted and non-encrypted
- Encrypted flash drives should feature 256-bit AES hardware-based encryption
- 64GB flash drives may be requested through the Non-Standard purchasing form
- Purchasers must follow UMW security standards when using flash drives:
- Caution: U3 flash drives are NOT compatible with campus copiers.
Resources & Tips
Need help selecting the correct Apple cable or adapter for your needs? Try these resources:
- For Apple MacBook laptops and iMacs: https://www.apple.com/shop/mac/mac-accessories/power-cables
- For Apple iPads: https://www.apple.com/shop/ipad/ipad-accessories/power-cables
Select your product type, compatibility needs, and what port you need to connect to over on the left filters. Clicking on the item will give you Product Information to help you know if that is the right cable/adapter for you.
Need help selecting the correct battery or adapter for your Dell Latitude laptop? https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/partsbytype/batteryselector/latitude%20laptops.To identify your specific laptop model, turn your laptop over and locate the information stamped on the back.
Vendor Resource Options
The following vendors are some options either on available contracts OR are registered small businesses and can provide some or most of the items above. You are NOT limited to purchase only from these vendors; these are just some available options. The University encourages the use of small businesses where available.