Public Transportation for Hire


Public Transportation travel includes:

Chrome River is used for public transportation reimbursement requests and all regulations apply, such as documenting the purpose and a 15% maximum tip.


  • The necessity of the “for hire transportation” must be identified on the reimbursement request.
  • Public transportation rates must not exceed those for tourist, coach, or economy class accommodations.
  • Receipts for “for hire transportation” expenses must be submitted. Exception: “For hire transportation” expenses less than $35 per instance may be claimed without a receipt.  Specific details regarding the service must be provided in the comments section in Chrome River.
  • A maximum tip of 15% of the taxi cab or shuttle service FARE is reimbursable as a transportation cost. In addition, during overnight travel, a 15% maximum tip is allowed on a taxi or shuttle service.  The 15% tip is completely separate from the Incidentals portion of the per diem. (See Per Diem for explanation regarding Meals and Incidental Expenses.) For reimbursement show fare and tip on appropriate lines in Chrome River and Chrome River will calculate the percentage for you and will not allow a claim of over 15%.
  • Public transportation from place of lodging to restaurants is allowed only for official business needs.  In this instance, the definition of “official business needs” is going to an official Business Meal that is defined at Business Meals.