Non-Travel Reimbursements


You may request reimbursement only for those goods and/or services that were paid using PERSONAL funds. If a UMW purchasing tool was used to make the purchase, you may NOT request reimbursement.

All employees are expected to follow appropriate University procurement guidelines regardless of dollar amount. In the event of an emergency where an employee may have had to pay out of pocket for an appropriate business expense, the employee may request reimbursement for out of pocket expenses. You are responsible for abiding by all state procurement regulations including: the use of the Small Purchase Credit Card (SPCC) or UMW Finance Card, mandatory state contracts, eVA and SWAM vendors.

Use Chrome River to request reimbursement, and use this link to find the video tutorial specific to non-travel reimbursements. The password for the video is found on the Chrome River homepage.

Important Notes

  • UMW will NOT reimburse Virginia-based taxes, including taxes on food and meals. (UMW will reimburse for taxes on lodging. See Travel Reimbursements.)
  • When requesting reimbursement for food for human consumption, a completed Business Meal Approval form is required. Maximum limits and regulations regarding Business Meal and food purchase reimbursements can be found on the Business Meals web site. For business meal reimbursement in Chrome River, select Miscellaneous-Other under the Miscellaneous tile.  Food for lab animals is considered a lab supply and does not require a Business Meal Approval form (in Chrome River, select Lab Supplies under the Supplies tile).
  • Reimbursement requests must be submitted to Accounts Payable within 30 days of the date on the receipt. Reimbursement requests turned in 90 days or more after purchase will be paid and taxed as income per IRS guidelines. Receipts must be detailed, itemized, and legible.

There are many different kinds of receipts. The state requires an ORIGINAL, ITEMIZED, DETAILED receipt. The purpose of a receipt is to show the goods and/or services purchased and to serve as “proof” that payment in full was actually made. If a “balance due” appears on a receipt, full payment is not “proven.” A copy of a check does NOT serve as “proof” that payment was made; however, a canceled check may prove that payment was made but doe NOT indicate the items purchased. A credit card statement alone does NOT show ITEMS purchased, but does show that payment was made. If you do not have an actual receipt, you may use some combination of the above-mentioned items to “prove” payment was made. Please contact the AP Assistant Manager at 654-1225 if you have any questions.

  • To be reimbursed for “gifts” or “prizes,” you must follow ALL regulations on the Gift Giving web site and attach all required forms.
  • Information about items that are NOT allowed for reimbursement are found at Disallowed Expenses.
  • Remember that accounts are open to the public and must be able to sustain the test of public review.

It is the responsibility of the Accounts Payable department to ensure the expenditure is allowable and reasonable; it is the responsibility of the Procurement Services department to ensure all procurement regulations were met; and it is the responsibility of the person seeking reimbursement to include documentation that justifies the expense. If the expense is not deemed reasonable by Accounts Payable OR if Procurement Services determines procurement procedures were not followed, reimbursement will not be made.