The purpose of this page is to serve as a guide for travel involving the President of UMW. All of the state’s travel regulations apply to the President’s travel; however, the President’s travel requires a different set of approval processes.
Domestic and International Travel
Day-only travel exceeding $500 and any overnight travel must be approved IN ADVANCE “by an appropriate member of management.” UMW has defined an “appropriate member of management” as the Vice President for Administration and Finance and Chief Financial Officer. (REASON: The state requires the agency’s official fiscal officer to approve the President’s Travel Reimbursement. In order to keep the process simple, the agency’s official fiscal officer will approve the travel request and will approve the travel reimbursement. The agency’s official fiscal officer for UMW is the Vice President for Administration and Finance and Chief Financial Officer.)
Domestic and international travel where the hotel/lodging rate exceeds the rate listed on the tables needs additional approvals. The RECTOR of the BOV has the authority to approve a hotel/lodging rate for the president’s travel IN ADVANCE (before the hotel/lodging is purchased) up to 150% of the rate that is listed on the state’s table. The president’s office will print the PDF version of the Travel Pre-Approval, get the Rector’s signature/date, and include the signed copy when the reimbursement is submitted in Chrome River. Any lodging exceptions that exceed the “150%” rule must be approved IN ADVANCE by DOA through the Accounts Payable Department. Lodging amounts that exceed 150% are also allowed to be paid by private funding sources, which is the preferred method to pay any excesses.
Upon returning from the trip, the reimbursement will route through Chrome River to include review by the agency’s fiscal officer, as required by the CAPP manual. Craig Erwin, Vice President for Administration and Finance and Chief Financial Officer is defined as UMW’s official fiscal officer.
BOV Travel Pre-Approvals and Reimbursements
For reimbursements, the Expense Report Name in Chrome River should start with “BOV” and the BOV member’s name. For example, the expense reimbursement report name would be “BOV Jane Smith Feb 2023 meeting.”
- *For the regularly scheduled BOV meetings, at the beginning of each fiscal year, the president’s office will enter in Chrome River a blanket Travel Pre-Approval using “Multiple” as the Traveler/Payee Type and will include the name of each BOV member and will identify the Rector of the BOV.
- *For BOV retreats, the president’s office will enter a blanket Travel Pre-Approval using “Multiple” as the Traveler/Payee Type and will include the name of each BOV member and any other attendees. This blanket approval may be used by anyone attending the retreat by uploading the PDF version of the blanket Travel Pre-Approval to the reimbursement in Chrome River. (Note that UMW employees may want to enter their own Travel Pre-Approval in Chrome River, which is fine; however, if the employee wants to use the blanket pre-approval, please feel free to email to that employee the PDF version of the pre-approval and the employee can upload the pre-approval to his/her expense reimbursement request.)
- For specialty trips, such as training for new board members, the president’s office will enter in Chrome River a Travel Pre-Approval for each board member who will attend.
*Whenever Multiple is used as the Traveler/Payee Type, go to the PDF version of the Pre-Approval and SAVE AS a copy to your hard drive so you can upload the Multiple PDF Travel Pre-Approval to EACH reimbursement request.
All new BOV members need to submit:
- A COV W-9 (complete the Questionnaire at this site)
- The direct deposit form (contact Accounts Payable)