UMW-funded travel has many requirements. The links on this site will help travelers (employees, students, and guests) navigate the various regulations, requirements, and available payment options. Except for items that can be purchased using a UMW credit card, all UMW representatives and UMW guests are expected to incur travel expenses and then be reimbursed.
A fully approved Pre-Approval Report provides approvals to make purchases for travel; an Expense Report must be created for reimbursement. Specifically, a Travel Pre-Approval in Chrome River is required for the following types of UMW-funded travel:
- Any day-only travel $500 or more (including all expenses associated with the travel, including registration fees)
- Any travel that involves overnight travel (regardless of amount)
Chrome River is used for Travel Pre-Approvals and ALL reimbursements (both travel and non-travel). Chrome River is programmed based upon IRS, Commonwealth of Virginia, and UMW regulations that are found within the links below. Use the links below to find specific details regarding the topics listed.
- Chrome River Frequently Asked Questions (this site provides links to the Chrome River system, FAQ’s, and tutorial videos)
- Travel Information General Page to define broad travel regulations and form requirements.
- Per Diem and Lodging Rates to get details regarding allowed rates and regulations surrounding these topics.
- Reimbursement Process for Travel Expenses for details regarding requirements for reimbursements.
- Internet Purchases for details regarding requirements for items purchased using the Internet.
- Air and Rail for details regarding Public Transportation to include Air; Rail, including AMTRAK, VRE and other Metro services; and Bus.
- More than Three (3) Employees for details regarding the requirements for travel when 4 or more EMPLOYEES travel to the same location at the same time.
- Conference and Registration Fees for details regarding the payments for a conference fee or a registration fee.
- Car Rentals for details regarding car rentals for UMW employees, students, and guests of UMW.
- Personal Vehicle Mileage for details regarding the rates and circumstances for which a UMW employee, student, or guest can be reimbursed for mileage on their personal vehicle.
- Out-of-Country Travel for details regarding the requirements for out-of-country travel, including travel outside the 48 contiguous states.
- Travel with Students for details regarding options available to UMW to use when traveling with students.
- Direct Deposit for details regarding the state’s requirement for reimbursements to employees.
- President’s Travel for details regarding the requirements for travel for the UMW President.
- Travel Cash Advances for details regarding the limitations of Travel Cash Advances.