UMW-funded* travel has many requirements. The links on this site will help travelers (employees, students, and guests) navigate the various regulations, requirements, and available payment options. Except for items that can be purchased using a UMW credit card (for guidance, see Available Credit Cards) OR for a Direct Pay for a UMW guest’s local hotel stay (see Guest Travel), all UMW representatives and UMW guests are expected to incur travel expenses and then be reimbursed AFTER the travel (or event, if virtual) has happened.
*“UMW-funded” includes all payments made by UMW (external grants handled by UMW, internal grants, agency funds, non-agency funds, etc.). UMW does NOT make payments for UMW Foundation funds, and these regulations do NOT apply to UMW Foundation funds.
Chrome River is UMW’S online system that is used for:
- ANY reimbursement – Both travel and NON-travel related items/services
(An Expense Report must be created in Chrome River for reimbursement AFTER the travel or event)
- Travel Pre-Approvals
WHEN IS A TRAVEL PRE-APPROVAL REQUIRED?
A fully approved Travel Pre-Approval Report is required for the following types of UMW-funded travel PRIOR to any purchases, regardless of payment method:
- Any day-only travel $500 or more (including all expenses associated with the travel, including registration fees)
- Any travel that involves overnight travel (regardless of amount)
Chrome River is programmed based upon IRS, Commonwealth of Virginia, and UMW regulations that are found within the links below. Use the links below to find specific details regarding the topics listed.
The typical order for overnight travel would be:
- Complete a Travel Pre-Approval in Chrome River (See NOTE below if traveling with students)
- When the Travel Pre-Approval is FULLY approved, provide a copy of the approved document to your office manager and ask the office manager to make any allowed purchases on a UMW card
- Make any other purchases, such as lodging and meals, using personal methods (such as a personal credit card)
- AFTER the travel, create an Expense Report in Chrome River for reimbursement for those items/services that were NOT charged on a UMW card (NOTE that expenses on a UMW Card can be included on the Expense report BUT the accurate payment method needs to be selected so Chrome River will have a “pay me” amount of zero for the expenses that were charged on a UMW Card.)
NOTE: If traveling with students, see Travel with Students to use a special UMW card for payments.
This Chrome River site link has the following information and should help you navigate the processes:
- Link to Chrome River Login
- FAQ’s about Chrome River and processes
- Link to the tutorial videos that are listed by topic (password to all videos is the same and is found on the Chrome River homepage)
Use the links below for details about specific travel topics
Chrome River Frequently Asked Questions (this site provides links to the Chrome River system, FAQ’s, and tutorial videos)
- Travel Information General Page to define broad travel regulations and form requirements.
- Per Diem and Lodging Rates to get details regarding allowed rates and regulations surrounding these topics.
- Reimbursement Process for Travel Expenses for details regarding requirements for reimbursements.
- Internet Purchases for details regarding requirements for items purchased using the Internet.
- Air and Rail for details regarding Public Transportation to include Air; Rail, including AMTRAK, VRE and other Metro services; and Bus.
- More than Three (3) Employees for details regarding the requirements for travel when 4 or more EMPLOYEES travel to the same location at the same time.
- Conference and Registration Fees for details regarding the payments for a conference fee or a registration fee.
- Car Rentals for details regarding car rentals for UMW employees, students, and guests of UMW.
- Personal Vehicle Mileage for details regarding the rates and circumstances for which a UMW employee, student, or guest can be reimbursed for mileage on their personal vehicle.
- Out-of-Country Travel for details regarding the requirements for out-of-country travel, including travel outside the 48 contiguous states.
- Student Travel OR Travel with Students for details regarding options available to UMW representatives to use when students travel or when traveling with students.
- Guest Travel for details regarding options available for guest travel expenses.
- Direct Deposit for details regarding the state’s requirement for reimbursements to employees.
- President’s Travel for details regarding the requirements for travel for the UMW President.
- Travel Cash Advances for details regarding the limitations of Travel Cash Advances.