Reimbursement of car rental expenses is limited to official business use only and prudent judgment should be used when deciding whether or not to rent a car. The car rental process varies depending on the circumstances of the traveler:
- Car/Vehicle Rental (for UMW employees/students)
- Car/Vehicle Rental for Guests
- Enterprise Vehicle Rental Codes & General Information
- Non-Reimbursable Items
- International Car/Vehicle Rental
- Required Documentation for Reimbursement
Car/Vehicle Rental (for UMW employees/students)
If you are an employee or student of UMW renting a vehicle, UMW encourages the use of the Enterprise contract as it has been negotiated to provide the most economical rates and service coverage for UMW. Read ALL bullet points (and links) in this section and then go to detailed Enterprise information.
- Do NOT, under any circumstances, allow the car rental agency to directly bill UMW. Make sure to pay for the rental with personal funds in order to seek reimbursement from UMW. (UMW will NOT pay direct bills for individual use from any car rental agency, including Enterprise. If a direct bill to UMW inadvertently happens, the renter will eventually be charged by the car rental agency for the rental.)
- EXCEPTION: If traveling WITH STUDENTS in a rental van, for example, contact email@example.com about a possible direct bill option, if interested.
- If renting a vehicle AFTER reaching the destination (by other means such as by air or rail), the traveler must justify the cost of renting a vehicle instead of using another form of available transportation such as a taxi or shuttle. If the cost comparison shows that renting a vehicle is less expensive, the traveler should select the most economical type of vehicle available. Attach to the reimbursement request a comparison of the cost which should demonstrate that a vehicle rental is less expensive than taking a shuttle/taxi.
- Read Non-Reimbursable Items and Required Documentation for Reimbursement to avoid out-of-pocket expenses.
- PRINT this document IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT Rental Vehicle_19Aug19 and carry with you in the rental car.
- A car rental company may require the traveler show some evidence of insurance. The traveler should determine if this requirement is in effect for their travel destination and if so obtain “Proof of Insurance” from Administration and Finance.
- If the preference is to use a personal vehicle, read details at Personal Vehicle Mileage to determine the mileage rate that will be reimbursed.
- If the traveler does not own or have access to a personal car, a car rental is allowed, HOWEVER, a traveler may NOT rent a car to travel to the airport and park it for the term of the trip. In this instance, the traveler must take a shuttle, rail, or some other form of form of public transportation to reach the airport or rail station.
- UMW will reimburse for any underage fees charged by car rental companies.
Car Rental for Guests
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION APPLIES ONLY TO GUESTS OF UMW who are trying to determine:
1. Whether to use a PERSONAL VEHICLE or RENT A CAR from the guest’s HOME LOCATION OR
2. How to rent a car from the airport or rail destination after arriving in the VA, DC, or MD area.
Reimbursement for mileage used on a personal vehicle and for car rental expenses is limited to official business use only. Prudent judgment should be used when deciding whether or not to rent a car. To ensure reimbursement for the full amount allowed by UMW regulations, please consider the following:
If the guest uses a personal vehicle, the guest will be reimbursed at the higher reimbursement mileage rate as shown on the Personal Vehicle Mileage webpage.
When renting vehicles, the guest should select the most economical type of vehicle available and read ALL bullet points (and links) in this section:
- There is an Enterprise contract. Go to detailed Enterprise information and follow instructions.
- Read Non-Reimbursable Items and Required Documentation for Reimbursement to avoid out-of-pocket expenses.
- If you do not own or have access to a personal car, a car rental is allowed, HOWEVER, a traveler may NOT rent a car to travel to the airport and park it for the term of the trip. In this instance, the traveler must take a shuttle, rail, or some other form of public transportation.
- INSURANCE DETAILS: Guests are not NOT covered under the general Commonwealth’s insurance; however, if renting from Enterprise IN THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA, the guest is covered under the Enterprise contracted insurance. If the guest rents a car from Enterprise (or any other car rental agency) OUTSIDE Virginia OR rents IN Virginia from any car rental agency OTHER THAN Enterprise, the guest is personally responsible for any damage to a rental car. Guests should check with their personal car insurance company to see if car rental insurance is included with their personal policy. In addition, guests should also check with their credit card company to see if the credit card includes car rental insurance if that credit card is used to pay for the car rental. Although the guest is NOT required to purchase car rental insurance, UMW will reimburse for LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) and CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) insurance purchased at the car rental agency for UMW guests.
Before any travel purchases are made, a Travel Pre-Approval in Chrome River must be completed IN ADVANCE by the UMW affiliate who invited the guest to UMW. The Commonwealth does not have limitations on car rental rates, however, UMW will reimburse only for reasonable uses and reasonable amounts of gas used for the official UMW business travel.
Please contact Accounts Payable at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 654-1226 with questions about car rentals.
Enterprise Car Rental Codes & General Information
USE the appropriate UMW code for Enterprise. NOTE: For business use, RESERVE THE MOST ECONOMICAL CLASS TYPE. ALL UMW car rental regulations apply for business use. Any points earned for business travel that is funded by UMW must be “returned” to UMW by way of using those earned credits for future UMW business as detailed at Travel Information. If traveling with UMW students and a UMW van is not available, contact the Accounts Payable (AP) office at email@example.com to get assistance with a direct bill. Do NOT, under any circumstances, allow the car rental agency to directly bill UMW unless there is specific assistance from AP. (UMW will NOT pay direct bills for individual use from any car rental agency, and if a direct bill to UMW inadvertently happens, the renter will eventually be charged by the car rental agency.)
- Business Use Reservation code = LV21502
- Personal Use Reservation Code = Go to the DHRM site at https://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/employeediscounts
- Scroll down to the Employee Discounts section
- Look under the Car Rental heading
- NEW FREDERICKSBURG LOCATION – 4601B Lassen Lane, Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Guests are NOT covered under Commonwealth insurances. Call the Risk Management office (540-654-1018) with insurance questions.
All vehicle reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance of anticipated pick up of the vehicle. When traveling by air or rail, travelers should NOT use a rental car as a method of transportation to the airport or rail station unless it is documented that the car rental and associated costs of the car rental are less than other options. Instead, travelers should use their personal car or a form of public transportation to reach the airport or rail station.
In the event of emergency travel (less than 24 hours notice), the traveler is still required to go through the process above and attempt to acquire a vehicle.
The following will NOT be reimbursed:
Upgrades will not be reimbursed for any reason, even if you have a personal discount coupon. EXCEPTION: Upgrades will be reimbursed for official business purposes that are documented, such as a music professor transporting a large instrument which will not fit in smaller cars or the art gallery transporting a large piece of art that will not fit in a smaller car. (See Question 5 of Mileage and Car Rental Questions for details.) Upgrades include, but are not limited to, upgraded car classes, navigation systems, and additional drivers.
2. Gas purchased at car rental agencies is NOT allowed
Purchase gas at a gas station and submit the receipt for reimbursement. NOTE: The receipt from the gas station must show that gas was the item purchased. Any exceptions must be documented and approved by Accounts Payable.
3. Insurance in the USA (for Commonwealth employees and UMW students) is NOT allowed
UMW employees/students are covered under the Commonwealth’s insurance and therefore will NOT be reimbursed for insurance purchased for vehicle rentals in the U.S. UMW, through the Commonwealth, provides insurance for car rentals when the car is being used in the scope of official business travel. Print forms as instructed (for employees/students) at Car/Vehicle Rental (for UMW employees/students. Note: The car insurance is NOT in effect when the rental car is used outside the scope of official business travel. Contact the Risk Management office at 540-654-1018 for insurance details.
NOTE: Non-employees of the Commonwealth of Virginia (excluding students) CAN be reimbursed for car rental liability, comprehensive, and collision insurance. For example, candidates who need to rent a car may be reimbursed for liability, comprehensive, and collision car rental insurance. For details, see Car/Vehicle Rental for Guests.
4. Other Types of Insurance
Other insurances such as trip cancellation, personal health or life insurance will NOT be reimbursed.
5. Excessive Fuel or Rates
UMW does not have limitations on vehicle rental rates, however, UMW will reimburse only for reasonable uses and reasonable amounts of gas used for official business travel.
6. Fifteen-Passenger Vans
Fifteen-passenger van rentals are prohibited for student drivers and use is STRONGLY discouraged for employees. In the rare situation where a 15-passenger van is the ONLY option, an employee may request an exception in writing IN ADVANCE from the Vice President for Administration and Finance and CFO (Agency Fiscal Officer).
International Car/Vehicle Rental
The insurance coverage UMW has for leased vehicles is for the USA. State regulations say that individuals traveling outside of the 50 United States are required to purchase and will be reimbursed for LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) and CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) insurance. UMW strongly encourages the traveler to fully investigate all costs associated with car rentals outside the USA. For any required insurances other than LDW and CDW, PRIOR to committing to the international car rental, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if UMW is allowed to reimburse.
Required Documentation for Reimbursement
To be reimbursed, attach the detailed final receipt to the Expense Report in Chrome River. Remember that you will not be reimbursed until AFTER the travel has occurred. (See Reimbursement Process for Travel Expenses.)
When paying for your rental through the Internet, read the Internet Purchases regulations regarding necessary documentation to ensure reimbursement.
According to CAPP 20335, when an employee is reimbursed by UMW or uses the SPCC for travel expenses, “Travel credits, reduced rates, or free services received from public facilities (i.e., airline, car rental agencies, motels, etc.) by individuals for whatever reason accrue to the Commonwealth.”
Please contact Accounts Payable at email@example.com or (540) 654-1226 with questions.
- Personal Vehicle Mileage Rates
- Office of Fleet Management Services Trip Calculator
- Reimbursement Process for Travel Expenses
- Internet Purchases
- Mileage and Car Rental Frequently Asked Questions