1. Employee or supervisor contacts AAEEO Officer in the Office of Human Resources.
2. The AAEEO Officer will:
- meet with the employee and/or supervisor to explain the process and discuss the employee’s request;
- provide the employee with a release of information form for medical documentation, if needed;
- obtain a job description from careers.umw or the employee’s supervisor;
- obtain employee’s consent to obtain necessary information from the employee’s medical professional(s);
- work with supervisor to arrange necessary ergonomic and/or assistive technology assessments, as needed;
- evaluate responses from employee’s medical professionals and requested assessments to help determine if the employee is eligible for accommodations and if so, what accommodations could be effective and reasonable;
- meet with employee and supervisor to discuss recommendations
- if accommodations are warranted, obtain an accommodations agreement from the employee and supervisor;
- work with the employing department to provide the agreed upon accommodations.
3. The Employee will:
- cooperate in obtaining the necessary medical documentation from her/his treating professionals;
- meet with individuals performing any necessary assistive technology and/or ergonomic assessments;
- meet with the AAEEO Officer and the supervisor to discuss and agree upon what accommodations will be provided;
- inform supervisor in a timely manner if the accommodations are not effective;
- meet necessary performance standards for his/her position.
4. The Supervisor will:
- provide the employee’s most current position description identifying the essential functions of the job and, if relevant, information about difficulties the employee may be encountering;
- if the AAEEO Officer determines that accommodations are warranted, discuss possible accommodations with the AAEEO Officer;
- meet with the employee and the AAEEO Officer to discuss and agree upon reasonable accommodations;
- implement the agreed upon accommodations;
- monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the accommodations with employee;
- contact the AAEEO Officer if the accommodations are not effective or if there are difficulties in implementing them.
For more information
To learn more about your rights and responsibilities as an employee or a supervisor, to request a reasonable accommodation, or to file a complaint of discrimination, please contact:
Sabrina C. Johnson, AAEEO Officer, Office of Human Resources; Fairfax House; Voice: (540) 654-1214; TTY: 1 (540) 654-1104; firstname.lastname@example.org
Other information that you may find helpful is information about the Discrimination Complaint Procedures; other useful information is found by clicking on the links to the left.