Once you have received the “OK” from the Recruitment Office, you may go ahead with the interview process. There are several things that you can do to make the interview process a success. Below are some things to keep in mind as you enter into this part of the process:
- Follow UMW guidelines for the search as outlined in the Staff/AP Search Handbook.
- Make sure you are clear on the salary range and benefits applicable to this position. If questions, contact the Office of Human Resources.
- Schedule interviews, making sure to inform candidates of expected length of time, parking, materials and asking if any accommodations will be required.
- Arrange for adequate space for interviews and make sure selection committee is on time and knows their role in the process.
- Go over the legal responsibilities the university must follow when conducting interviews (i.e. avoid personal notations). See the Best Practices for more detailed guidelines
- Distribute interview questionnaire to all on selection committee.
- Agree upon how candidates will be evaluated and who will be responsible for which questions.
- Let the interviewee look over the Employee Work Profile (EWP) before starting the interview.
- Panel chair, or designee, should provide a brief overview of the position/department/university as an introduction to the interview. Panel members should also introduce themselves to the candidate.