Discrimination Complaint Procedures

Statement of Non-Discrimination

At the University of Mary Washington the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action are practiced.  The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, parental status (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors in recruiting, admitting, enrolling students or hiring and promoting faculty and staff members.

Complaints of discrimination should be directed to the AA/EEO officer of the University; contact information is available.

Approved by the University of Mary Washington Board of Visitors
August 25, 2017

Scope of the Procedure

This grievance procedure is available to students and employees at the University of Mary Washington who feel discriminated against by one or more persons serving in an official capacity for the University, based on one or more of the discriminatory factors listed in the preceding paragraph. This procedure is designed specifically for resolving matters of alleged discrimination as may be applicable to Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Complaints of sexual misconduct under Title IX may be addressed by visiting the Office of Diversity and Inclusion’s Title IX page.

Complaints of students concerning Judicial and Honor procedures and violations, student disputes with faculty members over grades or grading policies, and student campus housing policies shall be referred to other established procedures for resolution. These procedures may be found in the current Student Handbook. However, if discrimination on the part of one or more persons serving in an official capacity of the University is part of the allegation, these Grievance Procedures may be utilized.

Discrimination complaints will be addressed by the Discrimination Grievance Procedures.

Complaints of classified employees shall be addressed by the Grievance Policy & Procedures for Classified Employees.

An employee may obtain information and guidance from the Department of Employment Dispute Resolution (EDR) and the university’s Office of Human Resources.